A large field located off of 44, Redway Plain hosts many large events for the town of Rehoboth. When there are no events happening, the field holds a walkway leading to a white gazebo. The walkway holds the names of fallen soldiers from the town who have served in militias and the military since its founding.
The plain has a rich history within the town. During the colonial age, it was used as a training ground for the Rehoboth Militia. Following this, the plain reverted to farmland before it sat dormant for years. It was purchased by the town of Rehoboth in 1992 to then become the memorial that stands today honoring those fallen heroes of the town.
Many people drive past Anawan Rock while going through Rehoboth. The site itself does not seem all too impressive from the road. Going through that dirt parking lot though and down the trail in the woods, you’ll find yourself at a large boulder known as Anawan Rock. This location in the woods is where one of the final battles of King Philip’s War was held.
Following the death of King Philip, Captain Benjamin Church located Chief Anawan in Rehoboth where he then forced Anawan to surrender. Church promised Anawan’s safety in return for him surrendering there, but when Captain Church got called to go to Boston, his men executed the chief. The site now stands as a memorial for those involved in the war and a remembrance of the founding of our town the colonies in this region.
Located on the south side of Brook Street in Rehoboth, the Liberty Tree which used to stand there is now replaced by what may be a descendent of it. The original Liberty Tree that was there was used as a meeting spot for the Rehoboth militia during the Revolutionary War. Although the tree is long gone, the possible descendent which stands in its place. The sapling is overseen by the Rehoboth Historical Commission as a protected site.
On the corner of Brook and Chestnut Streets in Rehoboth, there used to be the site of the Horton Signal. This location was capable of seeing all the way to Warren, Rhode Island, though foliage now limits that to only being able to see a few feet out.
Signals such as this one were used across New England during the Revolutionary war to warn the towns of incoming British soldiers. These signals were built following the British occupation of Newport, Rhode Island.
Rehoboth Congressional Church
The Rehoboth Congressional Church has stood in the town since the mid-1800s. Jonathan Wheaton donated the land for the church to be built on top of in 1839. Before its construction, the town used to meet in what is now the cemetery across the street from Redway Plain.
When it was first constructed, the common practice was for pews to be sold to families so they could always have a seat at the church. The old temporary meeting house that the town used was sold and turned into a barn following the establishment of the Rehoboth Congressional Church.
Along Brook street, the Baker Gristmill used to be an active mill associated with the Baker family. It was first established by Joseph Millerd, later being sold to John Hix during the 18th century. Hix ran the mill for years until he passed where it was then inherited by his son Jacob Hix.
Years later, Samuel Baker Jr. purchased the mill from Jacob’s son in 1822 after he had inherited it. Samuel ran the mill for years until he closed it in 1870 just a couple of years before his passing. Alongside this, Samuel also owned and operated the Bullock-Baker Sawmill and another sawmill down the street from the gristmill.
Palmer River Meeting House
During the establishment of Rehoboth, the town grew from present day Rumford, Rhode Island, to the Palmer River. The people on the far east of the town found it too difficult to attend worship and pleaded the Boston Court for a new church. In 1717, construction of that new church began on Lake street.
When construction finished, Reverend David Turner became the first pastor. The church stood until 1773 when the members of it voted to tear the building down and construct a different one in a new location.
Leonard Iron Mine
The town of Rehoboth wished to relocate Tremont street in the 1690s. The Leonard family, who were already well known iron refiners, purchased the property to mine any iron they found underneath the street. The town only laid the condition that the nearby bridge must remain intact.
The Leonard family made a living from mining the iron and from digging it up from the water of the river below. The family could then refine it and turn it into iron tools which would sell for a large amount.